Saturday, May 14, 2011

More adventures

The pups have had a busy week.  I have been trying to toilet them outside as often as possible, which not only shapes good habits, but also reduces how often I need to change the litter box.  Outside, some of the pups make a major effort to move away to toilet, sometimes going out 5-10 ft, and then hustling right back to the pack when done.  They are keeping an exceptionally clean pen - yeah!  This morning, I bumped out the pen to full size and brought in two tubs of puppy toys.  The pups were busy exploring their new toys.  We had multiple escapes this week, pups climbing over the half gate.  So Friday, I finally had to swap it out for the higher gate.  I was worried that Bridget wouldn't be willing to jump over the higher gate, but that hasn't been an issue.  The pups are fully mobile.  They bounce and run around the pen and out on the lawn.  They have already mostly mastered the front steps going off my front porch, but I cover the steps with a comforter to act as a crash pad at this age.  I can already lift the pups out of the pen and call them out the front door, and some will follow me down the steps to the lawn.  Likewise, I can call them back up on the porch and into the house.  When feeding, I use a "puppy, puppy, puppy" call which also ends up being their recall cue - and these pupsters are already catching on fast.  Works really well for rounding up the pack.  The pups LOVE their chow.  They are getting kibble and milk three times a day, plus nursing.  I have to use two big puppy saucer bowls since they are such aggressive feeders  - typical Jammer pups.  Otherwise, the less assertive pups wouldn't get their fair share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment