Sunday, May 22, 2011

5 weeks old

The pupsters are growing like crazy.  They have been ravenous for their kibble and milk, and I thought I was limit feeding them, but based on their weight gains, they were getting plenty.  Almost everyone gained 2 lbs last week, and all weigh over 6 lbs.  Together, they now weigh more than mama Bridget.  Weights ranged from 6 lbs (Mynah) to 7 lbs 1 oz (Eagle).  Yesterday, the pups managed to climb over the gate, so the pen is now closed up - Bridget can't get in by herself anymore.  We have started the weaning process.  Bridget's food is decreasing (will be down to 6 c on Monday), and she is spending nightime away from the pups.  The pups are also ready, and doing very well on kibble.  They no longer go into a feeding frenzy every time they see Bridget, and Bridget is growling at them if they nurse too long.  The pups have been very busy.  This is prime time for socialization and letting them explore the world.   I rotate the toys, and the last batch that made lots of noise was a big hit, as was the braided tug that they can drag around.  Lots of time out of the pen, loose in the house or out in the yard.  Friday evening, they got to explore the backyard for the first time (previously just in the front yard). Out in the yard, I have been taking the pups for walk abouts - moving away from their comfort area and encouraging them to follow.  Initially, I will have the entire puppy pack at my heels, but as I loop around the landscape bed, the less confident pups go back to the familiar spot.  Yesterday, only two pups followed me all the way around, today after lunch 5 pups made the loop with me.  Rosella has consistently been a follower.  Today, I introducted the pups to thunderstorms.  There was some distant thunder, so I opened the windows near the puppy pen.  Then, the pups had lunch on the lawn while the distant thunder continued and there was some light rain.  A good positive introduction to Midwest weather.  They were equally accepting of the vacuum yesterday.  The pups were exceptionally good for their weekend nailtrim - very accepting of the handling.  Unfortunately my camera didn't save all the pics from their Friday evening play session out in the backyard.  I recharged the battery and it seems to be still functioning, so will hopefully get more pics later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment